les amis de marcel carné

le forum des amis de marcel carné et de l'âge d'or du cinéma français

AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  GroupesGroupes  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Children of Paradise at Laemmle Theater (LA)

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
michel sanvoisin

MessageSujet: Children of Paradise at Laemmle Theater (LA)   Ven 12 Déc - 13:41

The famous Movie theater in Los Angeles, Laemmle, have a special screening to celebrate its 70 anniversary from december 12 to december 18 2008.

Laemmle Through The Decades: 1938-2008 ~ 70 Years In 7 Days.

Children of Paradise
is screening today twice at 3:30pm & 7:30pm.

The Film Summary

Citation :
In celebration of its 70th anniversary, Laemmle Theatres is pleased to present LAEMMLE THROUGH THE DECADES: 1938 – 2008, 70 YEARS IN 7 DAYS. Laemmle will show seven foreign language cinematic classics that have graced its screens, each one representing a decade of the company’s existence and screening several times per day. The series will run from Friday, December 12th through the 18th at the Royal Theatre in West Los Angeles. All net proceeds from the box office will be donated to the Library Foundation of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Conservancy via the Laemmle Theatres Charitable Foundation

This series was curated by Greg Laemmle. Here are his notes (extracts) :

Citation :
Let’s start by admitting that this entire exercise is insane. Worse than an annual top 10 list. Worse than the Oscars. I mean seriously, how can you try to sum up seven decades of film exhibition and of cinema history with seven movies? It can’t be done or at the very least it can’t be done well. So we accept all complaints and corrections as valid. How could we not include a film by so-and-so, and why isn’t classic film X part of the program? You’re right. I promise we’ll try to do a better job at our next significant anniversary should business conditions allow us to survive as an independent, family-run operation for another five or 15 or 25 years.

So how did we go about picking these seven films? Well, we’ve been the home for any number of English-language foreign films, whether that’s meant premiering the costume dramas of Merchant-Ivory, or the breakthrough films of the Australian New Wave. We’ve also supported American independent filmmakers over the years, from pioneers like Orson Welles and John Cassavetes, to later filmmakers like John Sayles, Alan Rudolph, Wayne Wang and Jim Jarmusch, and on into the cross-over successes of the current Sundance generation.

But I’d like to think that when people think of something as a “Laemmle” movie, that’s often shorthand for “subtitled.” And we embrace that. After all, the motto on our t-shirts is, “Not Afraid of Subtitles.” So for this anniversary we’re going to stick with foreign-language fare. Perhaps that’s an arbitrary decision. But as I said at the beginning, this whole exercise is a little bit crazy.

1938 – 1947
Our first decade of operation. What are we doing here? My grandfather Max was doing independent film distribution in Paris. His brother Kurt was running a neighborhood theatre in Lowell, Indiana. Originally born in Germany, the brothers knew that it wasn’t safe for any member of the family to stay anywhere in Europe. Max was driven by a desire to bring European films to America. And Kurt, ever the more pragmatic of the two, knew that they could make a living and support their new families in exhibition. So they settled on L.A. – why I don’t know – and went into business, operating two neighborhood theatres in the Highland Park area. Mostly they showed Hollywood films, double bills off the break, with kiddie matinees on the weekend and raffles during the week. But always in the mix were the occasional films from Europe. Any of the pre-war works of Jean Renoir, Fritz Lang or Sergei Eistenstein could (well) represent this period of time. But my grandfather’s favorite was CHILDREN OF PARADISE (LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS) a film produced in Paris under the watchful eyes of the German occupation. And seemingly, a film directed by no one. I mean, scan the list of films we’ve chosen, and you can immediately name the director and probably rattle off several other items on their filmography. But quick, name another film directed by Marcel Carné. No matter. This film, consistently ranked as one of the greatest works in the history of cinema, is a joy to watch. Amazingly fresh, consistently enjoyable, alive with the magic of cinema, we can’t think of a better film to open this series.

click here on Laemmle website to read more about this extravaganza special.

Citation :

Laemmle's Royal Theatre

11523 Santa Monica Blvd.
West LA, 90025

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Children of Paradise at Laemmle Theater (LA)
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1